Monday, March 26, 2012

New

Hi Everyone,

Today is the day for the Cook-Waller Challenge for March.  Crystal came up with the theme of "new" for this month.  I immediately knew that I wanted to paint my boys when they were newborn.  I have always loved Carol Carter's growth series where she has painted a portrait of her son every year of his life, she is currently on year 26. 

I have to say I have such a respect for Crystal Cook and her portrait abilities because I felt lost during these paintings.  I may attempt them again.  I will say that my photo reference pool was not that great.  I wish I had better pics with great lighting when they were newborn.

"Sam, newborn" original watercolor by Carrie Waller 8 x 10

"Steven, newborn" original watercolor by Carrie Waller 8 x 10
We are on Spring Break this week so I'll be back Friday with another feature:)

Carrie

9 comments:

  1. I have always thought that it must be so wonderful to have not just photo's of your children, but paintings too. Imagine when they are old enough to appreciate how special this is! They are absolutely gorgeous Carrie :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pictures, Carrie. My second son is named Steven (same spelling). I have the knack of turning pictures of babies into pictures of little old men ...I add too much detail ... people think it's my idea of humour, not realising it's simply a lack of talent in this area. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! I love their little hands. You really did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sweet paintings, Carrie! You did a lovely job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful Carrie! :)) Such sweet sentiment and beautiful skin tones too. :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! These paintings of your boys' are painted so beautifully, Carrie!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you did a beautiful job on these and love the idea of painting one every year. Keep it up and capture those moments as only you could-

    ReplyDelete