Friday, April 11, 2014

Friday Feature: Brenda Raub

"Artist's Thumbprint" by Brenda Raub
won 2nd place in the Daniel Smith 11th Annual Art Contest
This weeks Friday Feature is Brenda Raub.  I met Brenda after we both took home prizes from the Daniel Smith 11th Annual Art Contest.  Brenda's painting, "Artist's Thumbprint", won 2nd prize which prize was an on-line shopping spree from Daniel Smith.  I just fell in love with her piece and couldn't wait to feature her.  Brenda is currently an High School art teacher, I respect that so much about her.  There is nothing better than sharing your talents and shaping young minds:)

To see more of Brenda's work visit her website, and Facebook page .

How did you get your start?  

When I was 19 years old I worked at a bank and thought I should not go to college since I wasn’t strong in Math.  Meanwhile, I kept having reoccurring nightmares of me running from someone.  I had my fortune told to me and she told me that I was probably running away from something that I needed but was afraid of.  So, I thought about it and decided it was going to college to study art!  Sure enough, I’ve never dreamt that nightmare since devoting my studies to art.  What’s your artist journey so far? While in college I did a lot of freelance illustration work.  Even though I was starting to build a portfolio, I still wanted the security of a regular paycheck.  I went into art education and became an art teacher at the same school I graduated from! Throughout the years I’ve been lucky enough to teach not only high school students but also kids and adults in private lessons.  When I’m not teaching I work in my studio on my own work as well as commissions. 

original by Brenda Raub
Where were you born? Duluth Minnesota

If you could live anywhere where would you live? In an artist colony surrounded by beautiful landscapes of mountains, trees, and water.

What’s your favorite thing to paint and why? 

I love still lives.  If it has color and texture I’m probably intrigued and inspired!

original by Brenda Raub
Could you talk about your painting techniques?

 I work with colored pencils.  Layer after layer of various colors create depth and a richness of color.  You can melt colored pencils to create an almost watercolor effect.  You can burnish colored pencils for a more opaque acrylic or oil paint effect.   I will use melting and burnishing in the same painting along with layers and layers of colored pencil to create one of my still lives.  

Do you have go-to paints/colors, what are your favorites?

 I mostly use Prismacolor Colored Pencils and my favorite color to use is Tuscan Red!  

Do you have a favorite artist?

 My favorite artist changes as often as the weather in Idaho!  Right now I’m so inspired by Tjalf Sparnaay, a photo realist painter that blows my mind!  Who has been your biggest inspiration?  My biggest inspiration has been my fellow artist’s guild members, other members of the Colored Pencil Society of America (CPSA), my art students, and my patrons.  

original by Brenda Raub
What have been some of your crowning achievements?

 I came in second to Carrie in the Daniel Smith Catalog art contest!  I am a signature member of the CPSA with a monetary award win from their Experimental Juried Show.  

What are five things you would like to happen in your life in the next five years? 

Dream big here:)  I’d like to make the shift to creating more artwork and a little less teaching.  I want to travel to all different places in the world with camera in hand to take thousands of reference photos.  I’d like to submit my artwork to more magazines and books for publication. I’d love to see one of my artworks as a jig saw puzzle!  I’d like to be surrounded by fellow creatives on a daily basis.  
original by Brenda Raub
What is your advice for other artists who are just getting started in their career?

  Network, network, network.  Practice, practice, practice.  And, practice some more!  

What is the best advice that you have received as an artist?

 Value your art and the time you put into it and don’t give it away!  

original by Brenda Raub
SPEED ROUND!

Chocolate or vanilla?
Vanilla ice cream, Chocolate everything else

Your dream vacation spot?
West coast of Mexico

Book or movie?
Book

Favorite author?
Stephanie Evonavich 

Favorite movie?
Bridesmaids

Romance or comedy?
Comedy

Favorite dessert?
warm fresh dark chocolate brownie with coconut ice cream

Night owl or morning person?

Night owl

Thanks so much Brenda:)

2 comments:

  1. I thought these were photos at first! Incredible work.

    ReplyDelete




  2. I found this on internet and it is really very nice.
    An excellent arcticle to read about!
    Great work!
    Krogerfeedback
    Travel-blog
    mybkexperience



    ReplyDelete