Friday, September 27, 2013

Friday Feature: Carolyn McDonald

Carolyn M


Today my Friday Feature is Carolyn McDonald.  I have been enjoying her paintings during the 30 in 30 challenge.  

To see more of Carolyn's work visit her facebook page and website

What made you decide to participate in the 30 in 30 challenge?

  I had been in a slump after my car accident and I knew that the advice Leslie Saeta gives is true.  So, I decided it would be good for me to publicly announce that I was going to do the challenge.  


What have you learned so far painting every day for the challenge?

I have learned several things from painting 30 paintings in 30 days.  1) Just paint the shapes; it all makes sense at the end; 2) Mix all the paint left over each day and use the gray in the next day painting; 3) How to loosen up strokes and keep the harder edges where I want emphasis; 4) New color combinations; 5) I have a wealth of subject matter in my classroom; 6) Painting student's feet is a great way to connect with them.

Did you have a theme in mind when you started?  What was your plan of attack for the challenge?

I decided to paint portraits at first, but I was painting large and found out quickly that I would not get to keep up with the challenge. I moved to an old theme, bow ties, because my gallery in Nashville asked that I paint more bow ties for the gallery.  While looking at the collection I realized that the neck/tie composition was unique and asked myself what other body part I could paint that would be interesting.  I found an old photo of a student in high heels and realized that was my next move.  It has been successful and I plan to do more.  Next, I looked at the portraits I had done and cropped in on one, immediately recognizing the possibilities. It never fails, painting everyday improves the quality of my work.  For now, I plan to continue the shoes and cropped faces.  Personally, those bring the most joy!

Thank you Carolyn for your interview:)  Can't wait to see the last 5 paintings:)

Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment