Monday, January 18, 2010

C 141 Week 3



acrylic on canvas 36" x 48"

This week I have completed a painting of a C141 plane. This is the air frame that Steve my father-in-law flew. I put a blue tail on for McGuire AFB. While I was painting I was fondly remembering our first assignment in Germany. This was my first venture in to the Air Force and Brian took it upon himself to educated me on the different planes. I had a hard time differentiating them in the air so he broke it down into terms he thought I would understand. The C5 was the couch, the C17 was the love seat, a C 141 was a snake, the C 130 had propellers, and the C 9's had red crosses painted on them so those two were easily identifiable. It was a pretty silly way to look at it but I remember to this day.

This week felt like a trip down memory lane. I couldn't help thinking back on to our time in Germany when we saw these airplanes on a daily basis. I also just finished reading "My Life In France" by Julia Child and her nephew and am in the middle of "Bringing Home the Birkin" by Michael Tonello. Both of these books are set in various countries that I've visited and make me long for the days we lived in Europe. Hopefully we will get back there soon.

So I have officially completed week 3 (How many more to go?) I may take a breather from planes next week and paint something for fun. I enjoyed painting this plane and I hope you enjoy it too.

1 comment: