Monday, July 30, 2012

Classic Beauties

"Classic Beauties" 5" x 10" original watercolor on 260lb Arches by Carrie Waller
Hi Everyone,

Today I'm sharing my sepia version of my pear painting.  Painting in sepia is a great way to really understand values and make sure you are getting your darks, dark enough to make your lights pop.  I started this exercise in the workshop I taught earlier this summer and just now finished it up. I love painting in sepia and when I first started painting in watercolor I painted only in sepia.  I really think it helped me get where I needed to be when I started adding color into the mix.  Sepia also has such a beautiful "old world" feel.



And here is a work in progress I'm working on for one of my favorite people in the art world:)  I'll have more work in progress pictures on Wednesday.

I've been watching the Olympics this weekend.  The stories of these amazing athletes has inspired me to push myself.  All of these Olympians are following their passions and pushing their limits further than they ever thought they could.  I want to do the same with my art and career.  This is my dream and my passion.  I have even more commitment and dedication.  I'm going to push my limits.  If they can do it, so can I and so can you!!  We have to "just do it" :)

See you Wednesday:)

Carrie


8 comments:

  1. Carrie,
    That is a great tip. I sometimes use Payne's gray for these tonal studies. But I think sepia will be more interesting as it adds that old world feel as you said.
    We'll wait to hear about that lucky person who is going to get this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carrie. I seem to be doing a bit of catching up here. Your interview with Prabal was wonderful. I'd love to get to know him better. And you newest painting looks beautiful already - love those bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love the look of Sepia - it's timeless! And your pears look gorgeous! And I just don't tire of the jars - I'm looking forward to seeing how these ones will turn out :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with the sepia exercise! I started doing it when taking a workshop with Ann Pember and found out that she does a small sepia study of every single one of her flower paintings in a hand-bound sketchbook. The book is a work of art by itself -- and doing this exercise really helps me to separate the color and value properties of flowers, and using color more creatively. For high intensity objects such as a red or yellow flower, sometimes they just look darker than they actually are, due to the color intensity, and doing a sepia study of the confusing passages helps a great deal to clarify the confusions. It's really interesting to learn that you do it this way as well. ^___^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sepia studies, Carrie. Do I see more Ball jars??? Looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pears in sepia!! and of course, I never get tired of seeing your WIP jars. This one looks a bit different so I look forward to seeing your next post!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. EEEEEP!! Are those my ball jars I see?? I hope I'm not being presumptious, but you're one of my favorite are world people too. :)))) I'm so excited!!

    And your pears in sepia look so sophisticated and elegant. I think doing these is a great exercise, and a lot of fun. I usually use black because I'm such a drama queen ;) but I love your use of sepia.

    And yes you can and are living your dream!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having read this I believed it was very enlightening.
    I appreciate you taking the time and energy to put this article together.
    I once again find myself spending way too much time both reading and posting comments.

    But so what, it was still worth it!

    My website :: Providian

    ReplyDelete